Perfect Foods is a small, family owned business that started growing wheatgrass and sprouts in Brooklyn in 1982. The owner, Harley Matsil, is the pioneer of urban farming and a leading figure in New York City’s organic raw foods movement. With 35 plus years of refining their product and process, the family uses rich composted soil, sun-simulated lighting, and purified water to guarantee the greenest, healthiest organic wheatgrass. What is Wheatgrass? Wheatgrass is young wheat which is sprouted and grown for about 7-10 days. The deep green cereal grass is harvested (cut) and juiced in specially designed wheatgrass juicers. Thousands of health-conscious people drink wheatgrass juice every day as an easy way of getting some deep green vegetables into their diet.
The Nutrients in WheatgrassFresh wheatgrass juice is known to have all the nutrients necessary to sustain life. Its vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytonutrients all occur in their simplest forms, require minimal digestive activity, and are balanced by nature. Wheatgrass Contains:
- Vitamin C - As much as citrus fruits.
- Vitamin A - As much as dark green lettuce or carrots.
- All the Minerals Found in Healthy Soil (over 100) - Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, etc.
- Trace Minerals - Selenium, Zinc, etc.
- Essential Amino Acids - "The building blocks of proteins".
- "Live" Enzymes - Enzymes carry out many bodily functions, but many become deactivated when cooked. That's why it's essential to have live, raw plant-based foods in your diet.
- Chlorophyll - Wheatgrass has lots of chlorophyll, accounting for its deep green color. Several studies suggest chlorophyll could have many health benefits, but in general the greener your food the better!
- Glucose - The simple sugar. This accounts for wheatgrass' naturally sweet taste. This is a safe and healthy sugar which can easily be used by the body and provide instant energy.
- Thousands of phytonutrients (plant nutrients), only found in raw produce. These nutrients are often difficult to identify because of their small size, so you won't find them on a typical nutrients list. How they interact with the human body when consumed is also not well understood. Its very likely that these nutrients are the true reason wheatgrass, sprouted greens, and other raw produce are so beneficial for us.
- Antioxidants - Some of the phytonutrients include antioxidants, which can eliminate free radicals that damage our body's tissues.
How to Use Wheatgrass
- Drink wheatgrass daily:
- 1-2 ounces per day - if trying to be healthier & have more energy.
- 4-6 ounces per day - if trying to overcome a degenerative disease.
- Always start with just 1 ounce per day and increase slowly.
- Drink wheatgrass on an empty stomach. It's best not to combine wheatgrass with other food or drink.
- Spread your ounces out over the day (ex. 1 hour before meals)
- Swish the juice in your mouth before swallowing, allowing the juice to nourish the gums and mix with saliva, beginning the natural digestive process.