You can't go wrong with a mozzarella and tomato sandwich, especially growing up in New Jersey ! We opted for a plant based alternative -- melty cashew mozzarella is sandwiched between two slices of Italian bread with an easy homemade pesto and juicy local tomatoes. Behold, the vegan Caprese Sandwich. The main ingredients are on sale this week -- organic basil, organic round tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil!
- Italian bread
- Organic round tomatoes (Weekly Dean's List Sale $1.99/lb.)*
- 1 Miyoko's Organic Cashew Mozzarella, sliced thinly
- Pesto (see recipe below)
- ⅓ cup raw pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans or pepitas
- 2 cups packed fresh organic basil leaves (Weekly Dean's List Sale $2.49/ea.)*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup Organic Spectrum Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (Weekly Dean's List Sale $11.99/ea.)*
- To make the pesto: combine the basil, nuts/seeds, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor or blender. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Continue processing until the mixture is well blended.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick pieces.
- Spread a thick layer of pesto on both sides of the Italian bread. Top with mozzarella and sliced tomatoes.
- Serve & enjoy!