This recipe is a prime example of what a typical weeknight meal looks for us, it can be whipped up in under 25 minutes!
Plus it seriously tastes like mac & cheese except with upgraded ingredients to give it a nutritional boost -- protein-rich quinoa, steamed broccoli and a plant based cheese sauce.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh organic broccoli, chopped (Weekly Dean's List Sale 2/$5)*
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or chickpeas
"Cheesy Sauce" Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of ground cumin
- Cook 1 cup dry quinoa to 2 cups vegetable stock. Boil for at least 20 minutes, and fork to fluff.
- Steam broccoli for 5 minutes.
- Blend all sauce ingredients in a high speed blender while the quinoa is cooking, set aside.
- Pour cheesy sauce into the pot with the cooked quinoa, steamed broccoli, pine nuts, and stir to combine the sauce with the broccoli and quinoa.
- Garnish with pine nuts and fresh black pepper.