It's always a pleasure having Jessica Jarmer teach us how to make delicious vegan food at home, but these classes were extra DELICIOUS - we made vegan chick'n kebabs and no oil potato salad. The kebabs are perfect for summer barbecues with their smoky flavor, and the potato salad was a healthy alternative with all plant-based ingredients, including a homemade avocado mayo. YUM! Missed the class? No problem -- we have the recipe for you below. Want to attend a future class? Visit our News & Events page to see what's on the calendar.Chick'n Kebabs
- 8 wooden skewers
- 1 cup wheat gluten
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 block of tofu, pressed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- Strong Chicken Style Vegetable Broth for simmering
- Heat a pot of broth on the stove to simmering temperature.
- Place a cooling rack on a on a baking sheet and line with a silicone baking sheet or a piece of parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the wheat gluten, onion powder, garlic powder and poultry seasoning in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a blender, blend the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the blender ingredients into the dry ingredients and knead for about three minutes so that the gluten becomes stretchy.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Take one piece at a time and stretch into a long log. Take a skewer and wrap the dough around the skewer pinching the top and the bottom of the dough to secure it to the skewer. Repeat with each piece of dough and place them on the parchment or silicone linedbaking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Once the skewers are cool enough to handle, place them in the simmering broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the broth and allow to cool completely and add them to a storage beg with enough of your favorite marinate to cover. Allow to marinade for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. Then your kebabs are ready to grill!
Vegan No Oil Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. red potatoes
- 2 avocados
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped or 2 Tbsp. dried dill
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Wash potatoes and boil them until tender.Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least an hour until cool.
- Quarter the potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, peel and mash the avocados and add in the lemon juice, mustard, paprika,maple syrup, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Add the avocado mixture over the potatoes,add the celery, onion, scallions and dill.
- Mix to combine.
How awesome is Jess's face when she is talking about cow milk? We just love her!